How I became a career and life coach
As a manager, I learned how employers think and how people succeed.
I coached employees. I did lots of hiring and supervision. I learned through my own trial and error. I have also done a lot of personal work and exploration, which helps make me an effective life coach.
My career has included:
- workforce training, economic development, public health, and health care advocacy,
- creating programs and running large systems, and
- creating a successful business as a licensed health insurance advisor.
Now I’m a career and life coach−see my credentials below. My clients learn practical skills and make practical progress. Just as important, they learn to move past inner and outer obstacles. I help clients define success in their own terms and then make it happen. I use a sense of humor to make all this work fun as well as serious.
I grew up very well-behaved. Ever since, I have been growing into my real self, so I know it’s possible. Lots of things helped. My coaching training included a lot of coaching and helped me become happier, more authentic and more courageous.
I meditate (but not every day!) and can help my clients become more mindful. I believe in growing and learning, respecting yourself and others, living what you believe…and having fun. Peace and racial and social justice are important to me. I’m a hiker and a voracious reader. I love adventure and have worked in Turkey, lived in Japan and Scotland, and traveled a lot.
- Certified Career Services Provider, National Career Development Association
- Professional Certified Coach, International Coach Federation
- Certified Professional Co-Active Coach, Coaches Training Institute*
- Certified Job and Career Transition Coach, Career Development Network
- Neuroscience, Consciousness and Transformational Coaching Advanced Coach Training Series
- Salary negotiation trainer for WorkSmart Boston, American Association of University Women
- Master’s degree in intercultural management from SIT Graduate Institute at World Learning
- Bachelor’s degree in art from Brown University
*A partner of The Institute of Coaching at McLean Hospital, a Harvard Medical School affiliate.
Some of my work experience
- Directed the Boston Healthcare and Research Training Institute.
- Managed statewide programs at Health Care For All that improved children’s health coverage and helped families find health insurance.
- At MA Department of Public Health WIC Program, supervised 13 staff, successfully implemented $4M statewide IT system, created a training system, and managed a $48M food delivery system for 110,000 people.
- President of Beacon Hill Friends House Corporation and Board
- Career Counselors’ Consortium
- National Career Development Association